Do you wish to uninstall Windows Media Player?
From WindowsUninstaller.org: This post offers a better method to remove Windows Media Player (aka, WMP). Cannot downgrade or get rid of Windows Media Player? Use the most downloaded uninstaller application – we’ve been providing you guys with smooth installation/uninstallation experience, ensuring that you have a clean programs list, you surf without browser hijacker. You experienced readers can take the following methods to manually uninstall Windows Media Player on your own computer.
How to Uninstall Windows Media Player from Windows?
Preparation: You could choose and enter one of the methods that meets your computer experience level as following to uninstall WMP.
1. Download Max Uninstaller here, save and run the smart uninstaller on your machine.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure that you get Max Uninstaller installation package from the well reputation websites to avoid the fake or reprogrammed software from installing. Then run the latest version of Max Uninstaller.
2: You first exit the unwanted WMP client, close related media files and then, you run Max Uninstaller, locate the unwanted player agent in the list and click Run Analysis. Please note that you may need to remove WMP’s other 3 components later as shown below.
- Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
- Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0 (Build Number 5716)
- Windows Media Format 11 runtime
2. Click Yes from Max Uninstaller to verify you want to uninstall the Windows Media Player.
3. Click OK option, “Windows Media Player will be rolled back to the previous version…”.
4. You then click OK option from “Windows Media Rollback”, informing “If you roll back Windows Media Player…”. Then you stand by.
5. Save all your personal files, click Restart option from Windows Media Rollback to reboot your device automatically.
6. When you log on to Windows again, you might encounter " C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe" not found error message. Meanwhile, you may see that your desktop becomes blank.
7. You can ignore that alert. You re-launch Max Uninstaller to cleanly uninstall Windows Media Player and then you click on the Review all the leftovers button .
8. Click Delete Leftovers option.
9. Click Yes.
10. Click OK.
11. Then you click on the Back to Step1 and you can remove other 3 associated components I reviewed above.
12. For the express uninstall of Windows Media Format 11 runtime, you click Yes then.
13. Click OK from Windows Media Format Runtime to remove it automatically.
14. Check the “Do you want to continue with the rollback?” option from Windows Media Rollback “. Click OK and follow the Runtime wizard.
15. Wait then. Click Restart button.
11. Afterward, you log on to your machine and re-run Max Uninstaller, click Review all the leftovers. Then you should be easily able to follow the on-screen wizards to completely remove the remains of Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP. And another two projects to completely uninstall it.
11-1. Highlight the unneeded MS Compression Client application in the list and hit "Run Analysis".
11-2. You click on the Next > button on Software Update Removal Wizard. And wait then.
11-3. Click Yes from MSCompPackV1.
11-4. Click Finish from Software Update Removal Wizard. Then you press OK.
11-5. Remove Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack.
11-6. Click Next > button on Software Update Removal Wizard.
11-7. You click Yes from Wudf01000.
11-8. Click Finish.
11-9. So far, you have fully uninstalled Windows Media Player 11 on your WinXP.
Method #2: Use "Add or Remove Programs" / "Uninstall or change a program" to uninstall your Windows Media Player
The steps provided below are almost the same as the Method #1; but you need to manually clean those program remains in disks and in Registry Editor at your own risks.
Note: You first remove the Windows Media Player 11 (6.16MB) -> then remove Windows Media 11 runtime (6.16MB), Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP and Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0 to fully uninstall Windows Media Player.
Method #3: Uninstall Windows Media Player by Employing Its Uninstall GUID
1. Close your Windows Media Player. Click start > Run… > enter regedit in it.
2. Click on the Expand menu till you enter the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.
3. Copy and search "Windows Media Player" in Uninstall section. Open the following UninstallString item in “Windows Media Player”.
Note: Please copy “C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\” in Value data section.
4. Visit the Run… again, type cmd in it.
5. Type cd; then run the Paste in Edit, click your Enter key.
6. Copy this string, Setup_wm.exe /Uninstall, paste in the cmd.exe above, press Enter.
7. Click OK to automatically uninstall Windows Media Player.
8. Click OK from Windows Media Rollback.
9. Reboost your device then.
10. Then remove the Windows Media Format Runtime.
11. Remove the last two projects in “Currently installed programs:”.
12. Find and clean remaining leftovers below to completely uninstall Windows Media Player.
- Revert.wmz (Windows Media Player Skin Package), 65.6 KB (67,215 bytes)
Related Guides on WindowsUninstaller.Org
Related Resource & Websites