Are you attempting to uninstall VLC media player from your Windows computer but you have no idea what to do? You may also be concerned that it will leave lots of program traces on your machine after you choose to uninstall the player?
I therefore recommend that you download, install and run this easy-use uninstall application PRO, which is competent enough to replace the standard Windows uninstaller and effectively detect and remove the main product VLC and clean leftover VLC files from your system. And I will proceed to present the detailed contents "How Do I Uninstall VLC media player" that you too can learn and share in succession.
I will tell you what files have been installed…
I would like to know if there are any items I think are not necessary prior to I using VideoLAN’s uninstaller application to remove VLC media player:
- Step 1: Choose Components:
- Select the type of install: Custom (By default) / Recommended / Minimum / Full
- Or, select the optional components you wish to install:
- Media Player (required) (The media player itself)
- Start Menu Shortcut (Adds icons to your start menu for easy access)
- Desktop Shortcut (Adds icons to your desktop for easy access)
- Mozilla plugin (The VLC Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox plugin)
- ActiveX plugin (The VLC ActiveX plugin)
- Dics Playback (DVD and CD playback registration)
- File type associations (Sets VLC media player as the default application for the specified file type)
- Audio Files
- Video Files
- Context Menus (Add context menu items (‘Play with VLC’ and ‘Add to VLC’s Playlist’))
- Delete preferences and cache (Deletes VLC media player preferences and cache files leftover from previous installations) (Note You can apply this option to VLC media player 2.0.5 Setup to cleanly remove its remaining data related to the uninstalled one. You can use this perfect uninstall tool to fully uninstall VLC media player!)
- Step 2: Destination Folder
- C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC (Note If your programs list says that it just cannot uninstall VLC media player, you add and/or remember this folder and run this smart uninstall tool on your Windows.)
How do I manually uninstall VLC media player?
Note You may be using a different version of VLC application (v0.8.0, v0.2.82
, v1.1.11 and/or more) or running other editions of Windows operating system (Win7, Windows Vista, WinXP SP3) so my manual steps below might be different too plus this professional uninstall tool is an ideal solution. For other users, you may find a fix for the underlying issue with the VLC uninstallation by continuing reading my step by step actions below.
- Please note that I am running my computer in administrator mode; then I manually make a backup of Windows Registry Editor. And then I save my personal stuff.
- Then I see the following Privacy and Network Access Policy displayed, "VLC media player does not send or collect any information, even anonymously, about your usage. However, it can connect to the Internet in order to display medias information or to check for available updates. …"; I just click the Save and Continue button on it.
- I click the Media menu and launch the Exit (Ctrl+Q) option for the player to smoothly uninstall VLC media player later.
- And the following section will cover how to uninstall VLC media player via two typical options – If you just cannot find it in programs list or you’ve accidentally deleted its supplied uninstaller program, then this smart uninstaller will help you force uninstall VLC media player via its embedded Force Uninstall option:
- I open up Control Panel on desktop.
- I click Uninstall a program under Programs entry.
- When Programs and Features displays all the currently installed programs completely, I simply and quickly locate the following VLC media player 2.0.5, and I launch the Uninstall/Change option for it to remove it from Uninstall or change a program list.
- Publisher: VideoLAN
- Size: No
- Product version: 2.0.5
- Support link / Help link: http://www.videolan[dot]org/
- I click Next > button on the following VLC media player 2.0.5 Uninstall.
- I add the option "Delete preferences and cache" as I’ve mentioned above to VLC media player 2.0.5 Uninstall and click Uninstall.
- Then VLC media player 2.0.5 Uninstall informs me that "… VLC media player 2.0.5 has been uninstalled from your computer. …".
- I manually reload Programs and Features list to ensure that the VLC media player 2.0.5 is successfully removed from the list.
- Right-clicking on the VLC’s shortcut file, I enter Properties entry.
- Click Open File Location button on Shortcut tab of VLC media player Properties. Click OK to close that properties window.
- Then I press the PgUp key and locate the uninstall application and then, I press the Enter key to launch VLC’s uninstaller to proceed its uninstallation progress.
- Then I see a gray display and I click the Yes button on on the UAC below to continue to uninstall VLC media player.
- Program name: AU_.exe
- Program location: "C:\Users\(Your computer name here)\AppData\Local\Temp\~nsu.temp\A …"
- Then you should be able to easily complete the VLC media player 2.0.5 Uninstall.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UFH\SHC, "0 – C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\Reset VLC media player preferences and cache files.lnk
–reset-config –reset-plugins-cache vlc://quit
", "1 – C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\VLC media player skinned.lnk
", "2 – C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\VLC media player.lnk
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store, "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\uninstall.exe" HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-419813833-2818052380-3923852258-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UFH\SHC
Well, all of the above contains additional steps (of detecting and cleaning VLC’s remains) that should be done to cleanly uninstall VLC Media Player. Hence it makes your system clean and run fast.
Recently pages added on WindowsUninstaller.Org
How to Uninstall Belvedere
How to Remove Norman Security Suite
How to Uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials
How to Remove Ulead VideoStudio
How to Uninstall Toolbar Cleaner
How to Uninstall WinZip Registry Optimizer
How to get rid of VLC media player on a mac? – Yahoo! Answers
Documentation:Play HowTo/Uninstalling VLC – VideoLAN Wiki
How to Completely Remove VLC in Ubuntu | Chron.com
Uninstalling VLC Media Player? – Yahoo! Answers
Uninstall the VLC Media Player Portable – PortableApps.com Companion
How do you uninstall VLC Media Player – Copyright © 2013 Answers Corporation