(Updated #3, September 6, 2012) How do I completely uninstall AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013?
At the beginning of the following complete MANUAL solutions, I strongly suggest that you download and use this top-rated uninstaller program for all editions of Windows to cleanly uninstall AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition from your computer if you had encountered some annoying errors during its express install procedure using Windows Control Panel or AVG supplied uninstaller program.
Option 1: To uninstall AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013 via using the typical automatic approach, you just need to find and run the downloaded official installer package as system administrator.
- PROS: Quick
- CONS: Not complete
- Review some more details about AVG installation application.
- File name: avg_free_stb_all_2013_2667_cnet
- Type of file: Application (.exe) / DOS EXE
- Description: AVG Setup Self-Extractor based on 7-Zip
- Size (on disk): 4.20 MB (4,411,392 bytes)
- Digital Signatures: Yes; shown below
- File version: 184.108.40.20667
- Product name: AVG Internet Security System
- Copyright: Copyright (C) 2010 AVG Technologies
- Language: Language Neutral
- Original filename: 7zS.sfx
- SHA256: 5b9594f7626916a0f92e44a58574a12d6a6579ae2eb8663deda9a7898214cf3b
- SHA1: b440fcef95a848c3a6882ebd91deaa5047d354ea
- MD5: 6c4efd5bcbfc37d4038daefafb938663
- What is the main reason that you are uninstalling? (Please select: “I installed AVG to run a scan and am uninstalling now the scan has completed.”/”AVG slowed down my machine too much”/”AVG failed to block a virus/web threat”/more)
- Were you satisfied with AVG? (Please select: No/Don’t know/Yes)
- What security product do you plan to use now? (Please select: “I’m getting Paid-for AVG”/”I’m getting another AVG product”/”I’m getting an antivirus product from a competitor of AVG”/I am reinstalling my current AVG product)
- Do you have any feedback about AVG Toolbar? (You can type your words here.)
Option 2: You can also uninstall AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013 by launching Windows’ Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features option.
- PROS: More complete.
- CONS: More time would be required; furthermore, you need to clean its unwanted remained files and registry entries manually or automatically by using the following perfect uninstall tool.
- Please refer to the below “Updated #2″ portion for more similar instructions to complete the standard uninstallation of the free AVG 2013. Thank you very much for your understanding.
- Now, you launch and then complete the standard uninstall of MS Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable – 10.0.40219.
- Size: 11.1 MB
- Product version: 10.0.40219
- Help link: http://go[dot]microsoft[dot]com/fwlink/?LinkId=14…
(Updated #2, September 5, 2012) Follow me to completely uninstall AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012
Summary: Welcome to our first AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 uninstall and install tutorial on WindowsUninstaller.Org. In this weblog, you’ll learn the following tips:
- The first part is about how to manually & completely remove/uninstall the free AVG 2012 application from your laptop or your personal computer .
- Part 2 is about some secure tips on download the official installer package without some malicious backdoors, Trojan horses or other forms of malware inserted or created.
- The third part will show you some tips on how install or re-install the virus protection on your device as system Administrator – to meet your safety needs and for some advanced users, you may try to configure it better to meet and then enhance your Internet safety, and speed up your PC, avoid and prevent the common Windows system crashes or other fatal errors associated with this AVG product on your system.
- The fourth part will help you with the configuration of the newly installed AVG 2012.
Part 1: How Can I Change or Uninstall AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 Program Completely
To completely uninstall the unwanted antivirus program, we first need to review its Quick Install, see the below screen shots.
- Title: Select type of installation
- Quick Install: Choose this option to install the software in its standard configuration. This option provides optimal protection for most users.
- Custom Install: This option is recommended as a choice only for experienced users. It allows you to change the configuration of the system
- Additional option: Installs and displays the AVG 2012 gadget. A great tool to access scanning and updating (recommended)
Then you would have read the following details listed on the Install the AVG Security Toolbar:
- Option 1: I would like to set AVG Secure Search as my default search provider
- Option 2: Improve my internet protection with the AVG Security Toolbar
- Protect your computer from dangerous websites with AVG’s LinkScanner® technology
- Check your Facebook messages in one click
- Get Weather forecasts and temperatures for your city
- Launch Windows applications directly for your browser (Notepad, Calculator, Local Folder)
Option #1: Use the below Uninstall AVG application
1. Please click Start button -> move to Programs item or All Program (for Windows 7 / Windows Vista people) -> enter it, then locate AVG 2012 section -> keep going, you’ll see Uninstall AVG entry at the bottom of that folder.
And for Windows 7 / Windows Vista users, please refer to the below screen shot.
Then you will need to select the Yes option from the following UAC window.
- Program name: AVG Installer Application
- Verified publisher: AVG Technologies
- File origin: Hard drive on this computer
- Program location: “C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgmfapx.exe”/AppMode=SETUP /Maintenance=2
2. The below AVG Software Installer will ask you if you wanna keep the AVG Security Toolbar and LinkScanner or not. In case that you did not have another security add-on/toolbar installed, you keep them, otherwise please uninstall and remove them.
Just in case that you then encountered the below Setup error, please click the Save log and then the Exit on it. Read the details below.
- Severity: Error
- Error code: 0xE0018D0D
- Error message: Updating in progress
- Additional message: Running update must be finished before starting installation. Please wait for end of update and then run installation.
- Context: Initialization
For 7/Vista guys, you then click the Cancel on the following Program Compatibility Assistant to exit it.
- Info: This program might not have installed correctly. If this program didn’t install correctly, try re-installing using settings that are compatible with this version of Windows
- Program: AVG Installer Application
- Publisher: AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.
- Location: C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgmfapx.exe
- Option 1: Reinstall using recommended settings
- Option 2: This program installed correctly
And then, to stop AVG’s update process running background, you may try to force end the below two processes, the avgtray.exe and the avgui.exe. And/or then save and force reboot your Windows, re-try the above AVG Software Installer, the default uninstaller for AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012.
3. When you read the following details, please press down the Next > button on the AVG Software Installer.
Tip To completely uninstall AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, you disable the option “Please, keep me protected with AVG Security Toolbar and LinkScanner (recommended).” from the above Installer; and then the one “Keep my current search provider settings.”.
4. Then you go to to click the Next > button on the following Uninstall AVG 2012 window. Again, you then select the below two options from the window, they are: 1) “Remove user settings”. 2) “Remove Virus Vault contents”.
5. Wait minutes for the below Configuration progress to complete the automatic uninstall process.
6. Then your default web browser, such as Mozilla’s Aurora/Firefox, and/or more others will go to the below “The AVG Security Toolbar has been uninstalled” webpage, telling “We’re sad to see you go. You have successfully uninstalled the AVG Security Toolbar. We would like to better understand what made you uninstall the AVG Security Toolbar. Please help us by submitting your feedback. Your feedback will assist us in improving the AVG Security Toolbar”, you can close it directly; or, click the above link to send your Toolbar experience.
7. Then you click the Restart Now (recommended) button on the below Finished window, informing “To complete installation process you must restart your computer.”. Or you can re-check and then, you save all of your personal work, click the Restart Later then.
Option #2: Use Windows’ Add or Remove Programs / Programs and Features
1. Please press down the Windows Home key on your keyboard or just click Start link on the Taskbar -> please then move your mouse to Settings part -> then please go on to enter Windows Control Panel section. And 7/Vista users, you can enter the Control Panel and then Uninstall a program directly.
2. In the Control Panel window, you need to locate and choose the Add or Remove Programs entry to enter; you then scroll down the Add or Remove Programs / Uninstall or change a program list to detect the following AVG 2012 program (Note: Product version, 2012.0.1834) item.
3. You can visit the "Click here for support information." link for more related software information as following:
- Item: AVG 2012
- Detailed Info: Use the following information to get technical support for AVG 2012
- Publisher: AVG Technologies
- Version: 2012.0.1834
4. Then you can click Close button and then you locate AVG 2012 item, press down the Remove button behind it; and for 7/Vista users, you can directly launch it from the list – you can review the related steps detailed in “Option #1″ above to complete the rest of uninstallation process.
Additional Steps: Uninstall the Related Component; Restore Your Web Tools (IE); and then Remove Remnants Created on Your Windows
1. You then enter the Programs and Features or Add or Remove Programs again, follow me to uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x86 9.0.30729.4148.
- Product version: 9.0.30729.4148
- Size: 596 KB
Tip If you’re running a Windows 7 / Vista OS, you then choose on the Yes option from the Programs and Features.
2. Wait and then click Yes on the following UAC window.
3. Run the installed browsers on your computer; then check them. Read more tips as following.
Tip Click on the Gears icon or the Tools on IE. Then you choose the Internet options. Then you click the Settings in Search.
Tip You first set the Bing as your default search provider; then remove the AVG Secure Search to fully uninstall AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012. For more newbies, please read following detailed help…
Detailed tips on how to restore your Web tools
- Open up Mozilla Firefox (if you installed), visit the Manage Search Engine List; locate AVG Security Search, then click Remove button and then the OK button.
- Or you have Windows Internet Explorer 8/9 installed, please right click on the shortcut icon on your Desktop, then enter Properties link, go on click Programs tab in Internet Properties window; then click Manage Add-ons… button, detect and remove any AVG browser extension(s).
- Go on manual searching for AVG file leftovers remained in your system; moreover, you would need to remove them in Windows Safe Mode.
- Please firstly back up and save your Registry files before you manually modify, remove/delete AVG values left in Registry Editor.
4. Now, you might start the manual deletion to clean those unwanted remains associated with AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 on your computer to completely remove it.
- You first modify Folder Opinion: open up My Computer -> move onto Tools link -> then run and change Folder Options as follow:
- Choose "Show hidden files and folders" item and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files(Recommended)" opinion.
- Click Start -> enter Search item -> choose For Files or Folders…
- Click “All files and folders” link, then the “More advanced search options” item(in the subsection, you tick "Search system folders", "Search hidden files and folders" and the "Search subfolders" items you’ll see) Then please enter AVG or AVG 2012 in the blank as your search terms:
5. Manually remove AVG files left in your system as Administrator – you may need to remove them in Windows Safe Mode.
- Please choose and open up those data associated to AVG 2012 product to read the stored infos, press your Del key or, right click on them and then click Yes on the on-screen prompts for confirmation before deleting the file(s) you’d find.
- Open up Recycle Bin application, then locate all those AVG data that still restored by Windows, then run Empty Recycle Bin command on File menu.
- Last, you then need to save your work, then reboot your machine.
6. Now, you need to clean Windows Registry Editor. To find and delete all the unwanted AVG entries, you need to: click Start button -> enter Run section; entering regedit command prompt in the blank, Windows will then open Registry Editor for you. Then you follow the quick way (press "Ctrl + F" key, then enter "AVG (2012)" in the "Find what: "blank) would help you locate those AVG entries. Before you confirm with your deletion command, you should double click on that item to learn the detailed information stored by your Windows system.
Part 2: How to Get the Official Installer Program for AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012?
Review: Fake or Not?
Important tips: You can read the following details from AVG Software Installer user interface(also, UI). They are:
- Project, AVG Software Installer.
- Related process, avgmfapx.exe
Here we hope that you could tell the differences between those authentic antivirus software and those rogueware (a.k.a, Rogue security software), like the AVG Antivirus 2011 scareware reported by many top security vendors. For more rogueware removal help, please read Editor’s Pick part below.
Rogueware Infection: AVG Antivirus 2011 Trojan horse Review
If your Windows has been infected with any fake AV, save the below malware remover on your computer; then remove it!
Please get the free AVG 2012 from some top download sites like the cnet.com; or you download from the AVG™ Official Download page, http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-free-all-product. You can choose the Installation files listed to download:
When you have finished the download of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 just like the following one, avg_free_stb_all_2012_1831_cnet.exe file.
Detailed avg_free_stb_all_2012_1831_cnet.exe Installation File Info
- Type of File: Application
- File Description: AVG Setup Self-Extractor based on 7-Zip
- Size: 3.71 MB (3,900,592 bytes)
- Size on disk: 3.72 MB (3,903,488 bytes)
- File Version: 220.127.116.111
- Copyright: Copyright (C) 2010 AVG Technologies
- Language: Language Neutral
- Original File Name: 7zS.sfx
- Product Name: AVG Internet Security System
- Product Version: 10, 0, 0, 0
- Digital Signatures: Shown below
Part 3: How Can I Install AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 on MY PC
1. Please double click or run the above downloaded avg_free_stb_all_2012_1831_cnet.exe installation file as system Administrator. When you see the AVG Software Installer again, then you can choose the the language of installation package for your own system environment or, your mother language/native language – and for the some language pack you may need, you may need to visit the below additional help link, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/How-do-I-get-additional-language-files (copy and paste it in Address bar):
2. You need to choose pressing Accept opinion to continue your AVG installing job. The next window will ask your choice about the AVG protection mode. Here, if you have already had some another firewall product installed, you’d better then choose Anti-Virus Free mode – Basic Protection – installed, or the two firewall applications you installed will make your system deadly freeze, like the high CPU usage problem, the extremely high RAM usage at Windows Startup. (Read more ? Please pay a visit to the below page, "Can I have multiple antivirus software on my computer”, http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6121_102-229917.html ) Then please click Next button or your N key via using your keyboard to go on with your AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition installation progress.
3. The next AVG installation window will ask you to choose the AVG installation type: they are Quick Install with standard configuration and, Custom Install for those advanced computer users. If you are a very advanced computer user, you could then have AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 installed in a non-system disk and, pick those protection component installed or not installed that meet your computer security needs.
To change your AVG installation directory, you can then press Browse … button to have your AVG installed in a different folder or disk, then you need to browser My Computer and, e.a., you would like to get AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 installed on your Local Disk(D:), click “+” icon in front of Local Disk(D:) then you just keep double click on it; then you could press Make New Folder in the path or the folder you like.
And to cancel some Component Selection installation that you just do not need, you can move your mouse to uncheck that/those item(s), or in my way, I’ve cancelled E-mail Protection and the Additional Installed Language item to free-up my disk space on my Windows machine.
4. The AVG Security Toolbar Installer will ask for your opinion on choosing search provider – if you prefer Google search engine without security add-on installed, please then uncheck the first installation opinion.
To better protect your Windows PC from cyber hackers, from those fake online shopping websites, and from those malicious porn website, you’d better have AVG Security Toolbar inserted onto your browser tool, like Windows Internet Explorer and many other top brands of Web browsers you may installed on your machine. Similar to the system firewall installation advice above we’ve detailed for you, you are strongly suggested to have ONE only security plugin added onto your browser:
When you’ve made up your mind that you wanna install that AVG Security Toolbar, you press the Next > button in light blue color, or your N key.
The next installation window from AVG Software Installer will be displaying its main new features, like..
- Social Networking Protection (to better protect your Facebook info);
- LinkScanner® (to help you check the site you are going to surf for its safety);
- Smart Scanning (to save your installation time and your Windows resources). Please wait for the download procedure coded by AVG Online Installer completed.
And then the below (AVG) Install Progress will initial, configure, copy those AVG component, files into your Windows system:
After that downloading, install details automatically completed, you’ll see the AVG installation message, informing you that “Installation was successful” (a Thank You Page from AVG). You can join AVG improvement program by checking the first item, “I want to improve my security by participating in Product Improvement Program …”. And you could read more on AVG Product Improvement Program, URL “http://toolbar.avg.com/p-install?cid=%7B136d2206-51ba-4ac3-b6fd-bb31f513d224%7D&mid=04aab4aed67447d1883ad1456f3c97a9-a7b3a54b517233d9817904dbd9da84b28cfef779&ds=AVG&v=18.104.22.168.1&lang=en&pr=fr&d=2011-11-01%2008%3A40%3A19″; and you can also enter your email address to receive IT news, security news from AVG company; and you can tell your reason on choosing AVG installed on your device:
And, you’ll see AVG Security Toolbar have been installed on your Web tool, or just like mine, the Mozilla Firefox Web Browser (the newest version, 7.0.1) – and this is also a big difference between those FakeAlert Trojan and your real AVG products:
Then you can then complete AVG installation job by pressing Finish button.
You will see AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 main UI, you can then be warned by AVG that, you need to upgrade AVG virus definitions by clicking Fix ALL link or the big Upgrade your protection button in gray dark colour. Cannot update your AVG product? This link would be your guide on how to update AVG software, http://free.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-4644 – this is also the difference between those fake antivirus applications and your AVG product – you can read AVG updating process via checking Windows Task Manager – but you just CANNOT end those AVG processes:
Here you can learn Windows “Unable to Terminate (AVG) Process” error message below, detailing you that “The operation could not be completed. Access is denied.” – This is coded by AVG self-protection:
Read more? How to disable AVG temporarily, http://free.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-2429.
Part 4: How Can I Configure the Newly Installed Version of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition?
Preface: For those most Windows starters, you can just run your AVG protection using those default settings. And here goes the simplified frequently asked guidelines from AVG support center, please visit http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.pnuid-1728057861 to get some more info. They are:
- How to Change Your AVG Protection Language
- How to Run and Disable AVG Gadget for Microsoft® Windows® 7/Vista Operating System
- How to Fix Common AVG Error Messages, like AVG Update Error, AVG Activation Error and Web Browser Crashes.
- How to Modify AVG Gaming Mode
- How to Disable, End or Quit AVG Real-Time Protection Temporarily.
- How to Disable Specific AVG component That You May Not Need, like the AVG Anti-Virus, Identity Protection, AVG Firewall, E-mail Protection, LinkScanner.
- How to Completely Remove Data Created by those Computer Security Threats, Which Have Been Captured by AVG Virus Vault – How to AVG Virus Vault Usage.
- How to Disable AVG Virus Alerts.
- How to Upload AVG Log onto AVG Support Team.
- How to (Use) AVG System Tools
- How to (Use) AVG PC Analyzer.
1. Please double click AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 tray running in Widows Taskbar. Look into Tools menu at the top of AVG UI, then please scroll down that menu, locate Advanced settings at the bottom of it:
2. The next window will display detailed AVG Advanced Settings branches (left side) for you:
3. Please examine and read those detailed items carefully, you need to make a balance between your gaming time, office hour and your computer security. When you’ve made up your modifications to AVG app, you then please click Apply button in light blue color, which is labeled by Microsoft® Windows® logo; then the OK button:
4. When you meet some unknown AVG error box, you can then reset/restore your AVG application by visiting the avg window we reviewed above again, then click Default link.
You just have changed your mind and you want to completely uninstall AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013 or 2012? Then please review following two YouTube video demons to remove it on your device; for more help, please post your issues related with the express installation of AVG you tried or performed -to quickly and forcibly uninstall and remove it, you are welcome to run the below powerful Window uninstaller, Max Uninstaller!
Editor’s Pick for Your Further Readings to Improve Your Computer Security and Remove Rogueware Clones
YouTube Video: How Can I Completely Remove FakeAlerts Trojan Horse
A Typical Scamware: Perfect Uninstaller – Perfect Uninstaller Scamware Review
Rogue security software – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia