This page teaches you how to completely remove Windows Updates Downloader (WUD) and the files you downloaded by using it.
WUD allows you to download all of the current Windows Updates via a simple interface. All of the updates are contained in Update Lists, which allows you to choose which updates you want for the version of your Windows. Once WUD completes the download, you can simply integrate them into your Windows source by using one of the popular tools like nLite.
How to Delete Windows Update Download Files?
These files have only been downloaded instead of being installed, so you can safely delete them without worrying about damaging other programs or files related to your important data. To delete them:
1. Open the File Explorer on the taskbar, and click This PC.
2. Double-click the C: drive icon, scroll down the list, and double-click the Windows folder.
3. Locate and double-click the Software Distribution folder.
4. Open the Download folder, and delete the Windows Update files you want to remove.
5. In the Recycle Bin, delete them again to confirm the permanent removal on your computer.
But if it’s the program you need to delete, continue to see how to correctly remove Windows Updates Downloader in Windows.
Method 1: Remove Windows Updates Downloader with A Safe Tool
The first one I would like to introduce is an easy-to-use, small-sized tool that applies to all the popular Windows OS versions. You can also try to uninstall other programs that are not welcome anymore in the system with it. How does it work? Let’s see a quick example:
1. Download & install Max Uninstaller.
It’s a small-sized tool, so the installation would be finished within a minute.
2. Run Analysis > Complete Uninstall.
Open Max Uninstaller, and you will see clearly what programs you’re having on the computer. Find & select Windows Updates Downloader as your target, then click Run Analysis to scan for all the related files. > review the list, keep the items checked, and hit Complete Uninstall to confirm the removal.
3. Scan Leftovers > Delete Leftovers.
Now you’re deleting its vestiges. Click Scan Leftovers when it turns to green, review the list of the vestiges to be deleted, keep them checked, and hit Delete Leftovers to completely remove Windows Updates Downloader from your PC.
When it tells you Windows Updates Downloader has be removed, you can directly close Max Uninstaller, or click Back to Step1 and check whether it has gone.
Method 2: Manually Remove Windows Updates Downloader Yourself
1. To smoothly conduct the removal process, you’d better log in the system as an Administrator, so that you won’t be asked for password permission all the way. In most cases we log in Windows as an Administrator at home as the default settings. (How to check for administrator rights in Windows?)
2. Right-click on Windows Updates Downloader icon on the System Tray, and select Exit to close the program.
3. Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del to run Task Manager, terminate Performance Monitor by selecting it in the Processes tab and clicking End.
4. In the bottom-left screen of your screen, right-click on the Windows logo and select Control Panel.
5. In the Control Panel window, click the Uninstall a program link.
6. In the list of installed programs, find & double-click Windows Updates Downloader to activate its default uninstall wizard.
7. Follow the prompts to proceed with the removal, provide confirmation when it’s needed, then wait for the uninstall wizard to finish its job.
8. Hover your mouse in the bottom-right corner, then you see the charms bar. Click Search, enter “regedit” to open the Registry Editor.
9. On the navigator of the Registry Editor, click File > Export… to create a back-up (.reg file) of the whole Registry in case of any irretrievable mistake. (How to restore the Registry in Windows?)
10. Then on the navigator click Edit > Find…, type “Windows Updates Downloader” in the box to find the related entries/keys, then delete them to completely remove Windows Updates Downloader.
11. Reboot your computer to take effect.
If you have better solutions to remove Windows Updates Downloader, or there is any questions you need to ask about this subject, leave comments below. We would like to provide the convenience as much as we can.